A month back, Lara joined in on a ‘Pay It Forward’ initiative that was going around a few of the Mommy pages on Facebook. I zooted over to her website to view her portfolio and knew instantly that I had to enter! She was giving away one of her famous ‘Mommy & Me’ shoots. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw my name tagged as the winner.
We arranged the day and time. Despite the incredibly stormy weather that Sunday afternoon, Lara left her family to be with us and to create magic. I couldn’t resist going back to Lara to request a little Q&A with her. I found her an incredibly intriguing woman, and I thought it would be interesting to find out a little more about her, and her passion for photography which is clear in each of her photos.
I will be sharing my review as well as a few more photos from the shoot later this week, so keep your eyes peeled!
QUESTION & ANSWER WITH LARA SCOTT – PHOTOGRAPHER // MOTHER TO FOUR
1. When did you first realize that you could make magic with a camera?
I started 6 years ago randomly taking pictures of my precious little newborn. It grew from there. I think that happens a lot with mom photographers
2. How old were you when you picked up your first camera?
I think that if I go back to when I was 22 I took my dad’s Pentax film camera with me on a trip to Italy. I really enjoyed taking and developing those pictures. Those may have been my first proper set of images.
3. What inspires you to keep going in this industry?
As an artist, one tends to ebb and flow through the journey. I enjoy challenging myself to be and do more, but there are a few people that inspire me to be more true to who I am. I think that is the most important thing.
4. Three facts about you…
I am passionately and emotionally Italian 🙂
I drink about 10 cups of herbal tea a day
I have 4 amazing boys
5. A little paragraph on family life.I know it sounds like a cliche…but family is everything.I have been a mother since the age of 22 and cannot imagine living for any other reason. Time is all they need, not money or things. Moments. Love. And an engaging parent.
6. What is your favourite content to photograph?
It changes all the time. But I always do love maternity shoots and intimate family sessions. I love capturing the emotion and love.
7. If you could choose one wedding to photograph, whose would it be, and why?
I would want to photograph my sisters wedding…although I know she wouldn’t pick me because she would want me to be a part of the wedding instead.
8. You are a mother to four busy boys, how do you juggle family life with having to fulfill your role as a mom?
This is probably the most trying challenge because I cannot be as busy as I would sometimes like to. Trying to find balance is imperative. I do however find myself taking on less and less shoots purely because I want to spend my time with them instead. I do have an amazingly supportive and involved husband, but my yearning to be with them is very big.
9. Your favourite memory since you’ve been in the industry?
There have been so many wonderful moments, some being at weddings and others at family shoots. I think for me the best part so far was the amazing woman I have met at the workshops I have run. Those workshops were very personal and intimate and changed me on so many levels. I made good and special friends too.
10. A few words of advice for someone starting out in the photography industry…
Be your own kind of beautiful. There are so many photographers out there at the moment, it is hard to not get overwhelmed by how many different styles there are. Be true to who you are and spend more time perfecting your own talent than saturating your mind with what others are doing.
11. How can we keep up to date with your latest work, specials and news?
Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Lara.Scott/
12. Lastly, what social platforms do you use to showcase the beautiful moments you capture?
I am on Instagram and Facebook